Some of the best rooms are both fun and functional. If you have additional or underutilized rooms in your home, these can be great spaces to get creative with them.
Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing for creating or updating a room to make it more fun and functional:
- Family room – More often than not, family is the focus of the home. It’s good to have a space where you can gather with your family to play games, watch TV or movies, or just hang out and relax together. Comfy couches and chairs, a TV, a toy chest, or a shelf full of games are all great ideas for your family room.
- Home theater – Many homes have a room for providing an immersive home theater experience. While this can overlap in function and fun with your family room, it is often dedicated specifically to video, TV, and movie viewing, and its design and décor typically reflect this. Sit back and relax with snacks in comfy seating and watch movies on a jumbo screen.
- Creative room – Many families have members who are involved in the creative arts or have hobbies and pastimes that require some space. A dedicated creative room can be just the thing for this. It can be a space for creating art, singing, dancing, playing musical instruments, sorting collections, or just about anything that tickles your fancy and gives you a creative outlet.
- Kids playroom – Designating a room for your kids to play in can be a smart move. It can be a space where they can play with and store their toys (so they aren’t spread across your home) and help keep noise from disturbing other areas of the house. It can also help you keep track of where your kids are, especially if you have little ones. Sturdy, durable furniture that can withstand play, spills, and the occasional kid stunts are good ideas for this space.
- Home office – At the onset of the worldwide pandemic, millions of people began working from home. Thankfully the effects of the pandemic have begun to subside in most areas of the country, but many people continue to work from home full time or even just a few days per week. A dedicated home office can help you focus and be more productive. A good desk and ergonomically supportive desk chair are must-haves for a home office. You might also consider a few chairs or a small couch as places where you can take breaks from working.
The above list is just a few ideas to get you thinking creatively about how you can design a room to be both fun and functional. It’s your home and your space, so you can do with it whatever works best for your needs and desires.
Have an idea for a fun and functional room in your home? Partner with R3 Renovations and we’ll help you turn your ideas into a space you’ll love.